Welcome


Welcome Friends,
If you are viewing this page, you are on my blog that I plan to use to document my journey here in Europe, more specifically London. I borrow my blog title from Christian author, Rick Warren’s book, The Purpose Driven Life. In this book,Warren provides insights on how to seek your own purpose, authorized by God, by examining your life over 40 days. I go on to say all this to point to the fact that I do indeed believe that this entire journey, as well as what I have gone through in life thus far, is in fact part of the plan that God has for my life. I cannot easily say what my purpose in life is yet, but I do feel that I am called to do great things. To say the least, I hope you all enjoy reading as I continue to post. Feel free to comment and let me know you are thinking of me, as I am surely thinking of you. Keep myself and my cohort in your prayers; we greatly appreciate it.

Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Home Suite Home

HOME "SUITE" HOME (Should've been posted Monday 1-23-2012)
    
         I am not sure how to start this blog post, but I will start by saying that I do indeed like it here already.  From the students on the trip, our teacher who is going to be here for a week, and our flats, I feel at home.  We are a group of high energy (when we are not jet lagged), funny, and interested students. From our very early moments at the Buffalo Airport we have gotten along great!
     We arrived here Saturday, January 21 at 10:30 and customs was actually very nice.  This is contrary to what I was told to expect.  As we waited for one student to arrive, one hour later than us, we found out that our car service “forgot” that we were waiting, so he didn’t come. This has turned out to be one of a handful of hiccups in some of our prearranged plans.
        
           Our flat is incredibly close to an Underground stop and is situated right in the middle of Russell Square. This is a really nice area with a walking park, restaurants, shops, and many hotels.  There are so many students and tourist who reside here, although this is not where any of the attractions are. I will upload pictures of our living quarters soon. Our flats are quite nice, nothing too fancy, but definitely better than our apartments back at Canisius. By the way, after curiously opening each door in the place, we discovered a third bathroom!
          Just to run through a few more things we have done so far, Last night we ate at a really nice pub, and had Indian our first night here; both were really good. We had lunch yesterday at Paul’s, a bangin’ sandwich spot, right outside St. Paul’s Cathedral. For company at lunch, we had the Occupy protestors, who (without stepping on any toes) make such a beautiful landmark look atrocious.  I’m sorry, but I want them to move the movement elsewhere.  We got to see the houses of Parliament and take pictures with Big Ben (coming soon), as well as The London Eye, some street performers, Downing Street (which is blocked off), Westminster Abbey, and were feet away from the gates that lead to the mall of Buckingham Palace. Many of these we will have to revisit because we didn’t give them enough attention. As I mentioned earlier, we have had some hiccups, in this case our tour guide never showed.
          Just another anecdote before I close this post:  On our way to our flats for the first time we all struggled to carry our own and each others’ luggage up the most awkward stairs in the tube station. A very young woman decided to help pull up some of what we were carrying while others behind us were also patient.  To back track to last night, we met Akil, as store clerk who was very good at answering all our questions and was really friendly. You would have thought he knew us.  They say that Buffalo is the city of good neighbors, if that is true I have no idea what that makes London.  If the people here keep this up, we will surely have a good time. If not, we always have each others’ company.  I’m happy to say that for the next four months London is HOME.    


     

2 comments:

  1. apartment looks good (except for the sofa's a little drunk looking...lol). where do you sleep? ttyl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree w/Toyi on the couch, LOL!

    ReplyDelete