Welcome


Welcome Friends,
If you are viewing this page, you are on my blog that I plan to use to document my journey here in Europe, more specifically London. I borrow my blog title from Christian author, Rick Warren’s book, The Purpose Driven Life. In this book,Warren provides insights on how to seek your own purpose, authorized by God, by examining your life over 40 days. I go on to say all this to point to the fact that I do indeed believe that this entire journey, as well as what I have gone through in life thus far, is in fact part of the plan that God has for my life. I cannot easily say what my purpose in life is yet, but I do feel that I am called to do great things. To say the least, I hope you all enjoy reading as I continue to post. Feel free to comment and let me know you are thinking of me, as I am surely thinking of you. Keep myself and my cohort in your prayers; we greatly appreciate it.

Monday, 6 February 2012

Orientation and the First Day of Classes

Our orientation at London Met went quite smoothly, although their process was not the most practical.  The campus is really nice; it’s quite modern in both its architectural design and facilities.  Beyond that, we have met some really nice people.  So far, our favorites are the people from Norway.  It is remarkable how nice and laid-back they are.  They are even quite funny even though they do not quite understand American sarcasm.

            The school has put us on to so many different opportunities that are available to us as students from another country (although we have paid for it with our tuition).  We have already visited the International Student House, more popularly known as “Ish.” They have everything: a bar, a club, theater nights, student accommodations, discounted events, bus tours, weekend trips and much more.  We will definitely be going back.

            There was also a police officer from the area who will be working more closely with the university who answered so pretty risky questions for us.  The orientation staff told us to be prepared with crazy questions of all kinds.  We learned from him that it is alright to walk with beer on the street; pepper spray is illegal (in fact, its equivalent to carrying a firearm); and where not to buy weed in order to not be ripped off or seriously harmed by lacing. Furthermore, he disclosed how much weed you could carry before you get arrested. I forget the exact amount but he said we could basically serve the whole lecture hall and not get in trouble. Not that any of this applies to me, but I found his honesty quite respectable and he was funny. His overall message by no means was to go out and be crazy, but more so to be safe and act responsibly at all times.  The best part of his presentation was the surveillance video he showed us.  We saw exactly how pick-pockets work and boy are these people creative. No one is safe, so as I walk down the street and sit (or stand) on the crowed tube, I am more than alert.

            The first day of class was quite good apart from getting lost in the maze that is the main academic building.  After my first and only class of the day, I spent twenty minutes trying to find my way out of this building.  It exists as maybe four or five buildings connected to one another, with rooms and colored zones in no particular order.  The kicker is you can only get in and out of the complex from one building.  That is, unless there is a fire. And such is the conclusion of my writing about school for this week. I still have two more days of classes, three classes to go.  I look forward to them all.  If all of them go as well as the first day, and are interesting, I should be good. And if they’re not? Then I will still have to be good, convincing myself it’s the best class I have ever taken.  

No comments:

Post a Comment