Welcome


Welcome Friends,
If you are viewing this page, you are on my blog that I plan to use to document my journey here in Europe, more specifically London. I borrow my blog title from Christian author, Rick Warren’s book, The Purpose Driven Life. In this book,Warren provides insights on how to seek your own purpose, authorized by God, by examining your life over 40 days. I go on to say all this to point to the fact that I do indeed believe that this entire journey, as well as what I have gone through in life thus far, is in fact part of the plan that God has for my life. I cannot easily say what my purpose in life is yet, but I do feel that I am called to do great things. To say the least, I hope you all enjoy reading as I continue to post. Feel free to comment and let me know you are thinking of me, as I am surely thinking of you. Keep myself and my cohort in your prayers; we greatly appreciate it.

Saturday, 24 March 2012

The Foundling Museum

            Okay, I don’t mean to give you all a history lesson, but I thought the work that the Foundling Hospital did was quite cool.  All of this is from the notes I took in my journal, so it will be brief, but definitely worth reading. I actually visited the foundling museum around four weeks ago—I think.  Anyway, what does not escape my memory is the experience I had there.  To be truthful, so many of the smaller museums here in London, the ones many may over look and never hear about are the most moving. This one was suggested to me by one of my scholarship directors, Dr. Sroka.

During the 18th Century, over 1,000 babies per year were abandoned.  The Foundling Hospital’s mission was thus to provide a safe haven for these children who would otherwise die either in the hands of their poor mothers, starvation, or harsh weather conditions.  Thomas Coram, the founder of the hospital, petitioned to the queen for 20 years to get funding for such a ministry. Needless to say, he was granted funding and also had friends in high places to help.
Typically mothers who could not care for their children would bring their babies here, and be put into a lottery to determine if their babies would be taken in.  Basically there were three colored balls in a box that determined a child’s fate. One color, meant you were in (unless your child was diseased), another meant you went on the waiting list, the other meant you were denied.  The amount of work they did was remarkable—I cannot list it all here.  But, there was education and employment involved, parts of life these children would have otherwise been denied.  If you ever make it to London and have about an hour, I’d say it’s worth visiting.   

1 comment: