Welcome


Welcome Friends,
If you are viewing this page, you are on my blog that I plan to use to document my journey here in Europe, more specifically London. I borrow my blog title from Christian author, Rick Warren’s book, The Purpose Driven Life. In this book,Warren provides insights on how to seek your own purpose, authorized by God, by examining your life over 40 days. I go on to say all this to point to the fact that I do indeed believe that this entire journey, as well as what I have gone through in life thus far, is in fact part of the plan that God has for my life. I cannot easily say what my purpose in life is yet, but I do feel that I am called to do great things. To say the least, I hope you all enjoy reading as I continue to post. Feel free to comment and let me know you are thinking of me, as I am surely thinking of you. Keep myself and my cohort in your prayers; we greatly appreciate it.

Friday, 20 April 2012

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Amsterdam is where our two week trek began.  I can say to you readers that I did not spend my time in Amsterdam as most people do.  I did not get high or patronize a brothel.  I learned a lot about this city being on the walking tour and it actually dispelled some myths as well.  For example, weed is not legal; the government just simply turns a blind eye to it.  Amsterdam has one rule, “You can break the law, but you never break the rules.”  The rules under this one major one are: 1.) If you are breaking the law be discreet; 2.) Your actions cannot cause harm to anyone else; and 3.) If it brings in money it is alright.  Therefore, you can see why weed is accepted.  They sell it in “coffee shops” (discreet); it is not considered a hard drug (harmless in that it does not kill); it brings the country millions in revenues, in fact the sellers are not taxed totally for it because you cannot tax something that is illegal.  Also, prostitution in their Red Light District is legal.  This was done out of trying to protect the women who live this lifestyle.  I have more little facts about Amsterdam, but I will not write them all here.  Below you can find a few photos. Not pictured is the Anne Frank House.  This was the first thing we did upon our arrival and it was really moving and the layout of their secret hideout was very intriguing.  The next time you complain about your small house or apartment, think again.     

Nemo science museum—just a few feet from the hostel we stayed in.  Oh, did I mention that hostel was a boat?  Yes, it was pretty sweet.  And there are actually quite a few “botels” you can stay in while in Amsterdam.




The “I Amsterdam” sign



The smallest house in Amsterdam:  Years back (I am not sure if this is still the case), the people of Amsterdam would be taxed based on how wide their houses were.  Well, this is why this house is so narrow, and it is actually occupied to this day.




Canal View—there are many in Amsterdam, but this one was the nicest one I saw.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Dorian Looking Great. . . I really enjoyed the photos and the history behind each tour. Lannette sends her love and enjoyed your blog as well. We are so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete